Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Out of the Woods

Justin and I continued on from South Dakota to Omaha where we spent only one night.  Next we visited a small little town of about 1,800 called Stockton, out in kind of the middle of nowhere Missouri.  On our way there we had the chance to stop and tour some of the church history sites.  We stopped at Winter Quarters (Omaha, Nebraska), the Kanesville Tabernacle (Council Bluffs, Iowa), Liberty Jail (Liberty, Missouri), and last was my favorite, Independence, Missouri.  I loved all of them, but Independence was my favorite.  After that we got in the car and drove down the freeway for a little while, but then got off and drove on a windy, hilly country road for miles, and miles, and there was nothing anywhere but trees and more road...or so I thought until we passed a wagon full of Amish people.  I couldn't quite wrap my head around that one and about the third time I said to Justin "there was just a wagon full of people back there, in the middle of the road" he started laughing at me.  It was just so far from anything that I found it to be shocking.  Still we kept driving and finally turned on a series of dirt roads, and found ourselves at the home of some members Justin knew while serving there.

The fascinating thing about this little city, is that there are hundreds of polygamists living out in the surrounding woods, and the people we stayed with had originally been raised in a polygamist group, but rejected it.  Naturally, it is still a big part of their lives, since family still practices, hence their living out there, but they eventually were found by the missionaries, taught and joined the church.  They are amazing people, and have done really great work in getting missionary work started in that community.  We had a chance to meet with a couple of other families out there that have since joined, and it really is just very inspiring to see those people slowly opening their doors to the gospel.  I find myself with a particular interest in this due to the fact that my maiden name is Black, and my Grandpa's cousins and their posterity are still part of the polygamist group in Southern Utah.  These people in Stockton originally came from Southern Utah and knew some of his cousins, and some of them were even able to tell me of a few Blacks that have found their way back to the gospel.  I know how much this would have meant, and I'm sure does mean, to my Grandpa Black.  The whole experience out there was amazing, and we were so sorry to leave today.

Also, of note, yesterday we got a chance to leave Stockton for a bit and drive to St. Robert, MO, right outside of Ft. Leanord Wood to meet with one of Justin's converts.  It's been great to see him get a chance to see his areas again, and visit these people who mean so much to him.

Tonight we find ourselves in Branson, Missouri.

No comments: