Monday, May 5, 2014

Riverton

Since my last update here our plans for our future have changed, yet again.  Originally the idea was to move to Logan in January and get Justin contracted with the ROTC program at USU, he'd complete his degree, commission, go active duty, and we would be whisked off to his first duty station just as my contract with the National Guard ended.  It was a great plan, until things changed and in the interest of brevity, I'll just skip all the why's and say that now we're living in Riverton.  Justin has transferred to the Utah National Guard, works full-time for them, is going to be in school for a new MOS (military job) all summer long, and then sometime early next year we are hoping (but not excited about it) to return to Monterey where he can study Russian at DLI.  After that we can get back to the whole Logan, USU, commissioning, active duty business. 

This little change of plans all happened rather suddenly, and we count ourselves very blessed for how quickly and easily everything fell into place to facilitate the move here.  I can't say that I loved shuttling Justin off to Utah to start the new job while I stayed behind in Boise alone to try and get all of our junk packed up and ready for the move, without a car, and 5 months pregnant, but the move is well behind us now, thanks to help from his family and mine.  What I can say is that despite our lack of enthusiasm for this move to Utah (we really would not have been sad about another summer in Boise) we're enjoying our time here thus far.  The apartment is nice, the ward is great, Justin likes the job, we're still close to family, and thankfully the new doctor seems competent, and the hospital is just down the street.  I could literally walk there if I had to, but we finally got around to buying a second car, so it shouldn't come to that. 

Justin's training course this summer will lap right over the arrival of the baby this summer, so we're still keeping our fingers crossed that once the course starts his instructors will figure out a way to free him up for a little bit so he can actually be there for the baby's arrival.  Wouldn't that be nice?  I feel like it would.

In the meantime we've been trying to cram in as much interesting things into our free weekends as we can before his course starts in late June, or before the doctor tells me it's time to end the travel and start staying home.  We've spent a weekend back in Boise for his sister's homecoming, and then a weekend in Salt Lake with his family at Lagoon, which was fun but gave me a better appreciation for my mother who was always sidelined on our family trips with a pregnancy or sibling too small to do any riding, we took a day trip to St. George that was fantastic.  We left home at the crack of dawn with Justin's sister Brianna along for the days adventures, went straight to the Saint George temple for a session, and then after a lunch break drove out to Zion and did a couple of little hikes, and arrived home around midnight.  I would have liked to have done something a bit more ambitious, but it seemed ill-advised.  Here are a few pictures:


I know that my outfit is ridiculous, but unfortunately I discovered the night before we left that I've gotten so big that none of my hiking pants or work out pants could be stretched far enough to accommodate the proportions that I have now reached.  My only option was a pair of Justin's basketball shorts.  That's what it's come to, wearing man clothes.  We will be purchasing something else before we go on any more outdoor type activities.  Either way, it was fun.  We spent a good chunk of last weekend in Park City, and between that stuff and our drill weekends we've kept pretty busy.  Not sure what we'll come up with for this weekend, but I sense Justin has already started formulating a plan.  We have internet now, so hopefully I'll be able to update this more regularly now. 

No comments: