Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Free Haircuts!

Back when I was working a normal civilian job, and had no one but me to worry about I would pay a fair amount of money to have someone cut my hair.  Then I joined the army, got married, and wore my hair in a bun every day.  I got in the habit of mostly just not doing anything about it until the situation got really, really bad.  Then, I went to one of those cheap-o chain haircut places to trim it up.  I've been incredibly dissatisfied with haircuts I've received at these sorts of establishments in the past, but the reality is that, at the time, convenience and speed were worth more to me than having a great haircut.  

I no longer have the excuse of wearing my hair in a bun ever day, but I have come to hate dealing with the hassle of getting it cut.  While we were in Boise I tried to get Justin to try cutting it for me.  He blatantly refused to touch it.  Eventually my sister-in-law, Brooke cut it for me a couple of times, and even my mom got roped into doing it once or twice.  It's turned out well each time.

A couple of weeks ago Sarah cut her own hair and I was fascinated by how well it seemed to have gone.  So I decided to give that a whirl.  I figured that I had very little to lose.  It's long enough that if things went really south I could go somewhere and pay to have it fixed.  The idea of cutting it myself in the comfort of my own home, on my time frame, just whenever I get to it, without paying someone else is very appealing.

So today in a move that probably takes my tight-waddiness to a whole new level, I decided to try this out.  I put Vivian in her high chair with a piece of celery to chew on to keep her entertained, and I wheeled her up to the doorway of the bathroom.  I started by mentally reviewing all the little techniques I had observed professional hair people using on my hair over the years.  It just didn't seem like it was going to be that hard.  My first few little snips were pretty timid, and then I got a bit more adventurous and started lopping off bigger pieces.  

It still seemed to be going really well, until Vivian got bored with her celery, hurled it on the floor and started crying.  I tried to continue, but I felt that my focus was compromised.  I stopped, settled her down and then resumed.  This cycle was repeated several times, and I started realizing that I got a little more wild with the scissors every time I returned.  Towards the end I have to admit that I was just kind of randomly snipping at the ends of my hair, with my scissors going all different directions.  I figured that was a sign that it was time to stop cutting.
  
The blessing here is that my hair is curly, so I don't think anyone can truthfully really tell what's going on with it anyway. 

 Frankly, I think it looks pretty good.  I even attempted a little layering around my face.  I may try this again in the future, but next time I will wait until Vivian is either sleeping, or there is someone else around to keep her entertained.  Now if any of you started reading this because you were hoping to get a free haircut, I'm willing to cut yours too!  I have no training.  I am, however, always willing to practice on someone else.  I have been cutting Justin's hair for years now, so I am not entirely without experience.  My services are free!

1 comment: